Since the 18th century, the Saint-Remi
Church in Koerich
has been regarded as "pulcherrima totius patriae ecclesia" (the most beautiful in the country).
It is a sanctuary where architecture, sculpture and painting mutually complement each other and create a harmonious masterpiece, bearing witness to the rustic baroque.
The Church was recently restored (1992) and is today the result of half a millennium of transformations, additions and creations.
In all of Europe, the Counter-Reformation in a rural context is represented through sculpture and painting. It is an unknown baroque, more modest, but nevertheless full of grace. It may also be found in the medium-sized towns of Central Europe and the Lithuanian countryside.
In Luxembourg, the disturbances of the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648) pushed back the construction of the most beautiful buildings to the 18th century, after the accession of the Hapsburgs of Austria in 1714. This is a period that Alex Langini refers to as a ‘golden era for national history’.
The choir stalls (1755) are the work of the sculptor André Doyé of Diekirch and the master carpenter Frédéric Biver, who was from Koerich
itself. However, the décor and fittings will be continuously renewed, without changing the original design.